3 Of The Best Abdominal Exercises To Build Your Core
A lot of people struggle with building a strong defined core because of the dedication and determination it takes both inside and out of the gym. Especially after completing a long intense leg workout and following it up with some core training…. But one of the most important points you need to remember is that your abs will not be present on your physique without the proper dieting and body fat levels, no matter how hard you train them. It’s like the saying goes “abs are made in the kitchen”.
In this post we are going to give you three awesome exercises you should always do when you are focusing on your core. These exercises are quick and easy to do and will build strength along with muscle thickness if done properly.
#1 Cable Crunches
Cable crunches are very effective at building the whole abdominal wall and strengthening your core. This exercise engages the full muscle group allowing you to squeeze your abs with each repetition. The desired amount of sets and repetitions for this exercise is: 4 sets of 16 reps.
In order to complete a proper cable crunch you need to:
- Kneel below a high pulley that contains a rope attachment on a universal gym set (You can kneel on a mat if the floor is too hard on your knee’s)
- You than want to squeeze the handles of the rope attachment and begin lowering the rope until your hands are placed next to your face.
- Allow the weight to hyper-extend the lower back while you are flexing you hips. This will be your starting position.
- Once you are in the starting position, flex your waist as you contract the abs so that the elbows travel towards the middle of the thighs. Exhale as you perform this portion of the movement and hold the contraction for a second.
- Slowly return to the starting position as you inhale. Make sure that you keep constant tension on the abs throughout the movement. Work with a weight that you can get 12-16 repetitions with.
- Repeat this process for the desired amount of repetitions.